Sunday, October 12, 2008

# 32...in progress...

January '09
Nothing creative AT ALL. Parker had been begging to paint something over winter break and I finally got out wood scraps and let the crazies paint. Fun enough.
***add pictures

December '08
Gingerbread houses.
***add pictures


November '08
Made Indian Headresses for Thanksgiving.
***add pictures

October '08
Carved pumpkins, of course.
***add pictures

September '08:
I just about missed September. It was early evening on the last day of the month and Spencer reminded me. We were so busy getting used to Parker's school schedule, I completely forgot. Thanks Spence!

I had to throw something together fast. We cut out hair from magazines in the shape of mustaches and glued it to cardstock. Anything to do with costumes goes over well. And it was hilarious.



Grady wanted nothing to do with the mustache but I HAD to have a picture.





August '08:
The boys painted t-shirts. Not really a creative one, but they had fun getting messy. Reid got more paint on himself than on the t-shirt (on purpose).






July '08:
We desperately needed crafts on our road trip to Utah. So this went to my monthly activity.
Foam sticker masks.




June '08:
This month also came from the road trip. I planned it that way. Fun with pipe cleaners.



May '08:


I have a stack full of Family Fun clippings full of fun kid crafts and activities. I save them with intentions of doing them one day, but never do. That's what inspired this goal. Why don't I do them? I thought it would be fun. I like crafty things. It would motivate me to do something new and constructive with my kids every month. It might teach them some new fine motor skills...like cutting and painting and gluing and maybe develop their creative side...heaven knows they have one.


It didn't occur to me this would teach me patience...something I'm definitely lacking. I see these darling crafts in Family Fun. I know how to do them. Because they're easy crafts, I could put them together so quickly and they could turn out pretty nearly perfect. But the point of this was to do it with my kids. I let them pick from my file of clippings. They of course chose my least favorite...airplanes. Reid got marker EVERYWHERE. They couldn't figure out the rubber band launching thing which turned into crying fits from Parker. They were more impatient then I was while waiting for me to cut and tape. Let's just say it involved a lot of whining.

I actually thought this was going to be fun. Silly me. Maybe after 33 months of this, it will be fun...and maybe by February of 2011, I'll have learned some patience. This is good for unexpected reasons.




(You tape a bendy straw on the plane and launch them with a rubber band.)

6 comments:

Amanda B. said...

I feel your pain- this kind of thing can be tough! The pictures in the magazines make it look like a recipe for perfect family togetherness, but, while it can be, it is also frustrating sometimes. But, it does teach them creativity and patience themselves, so keep it up- you are doing great! I used to do this stuff a lot, but have gotten a bit more lazy lately. Poor Jacob! Anyway, one thing I learned in school, when it comes to projects with kids is- It is the process, not the end result that matters. That is where they learn- in the doing. Good luck- keep it up!!! :)

jeanine said...

I saw those planes... and I know that William would love them... but I still haven't done it. I used to be much better at doing crafts with William. I should start again! Thanks for the inspiration.

Erin said...

Points for sticking to it and completeing the task. I know your pain in "This will be Fun" then the crankies come out and you think "Why did I bother". But the bright side is they will remember only the fun of it and how cool their mom is!! Good job!

Jenn said...

You make me laugh Katie,, I love reading your posts... anyways I lack with patience too and I can tell my patience would have been tested if I had to make those planes. They look like they turned out great and I am sure the boys had a great time with them even if they were a little frustrated. You are a great mom!

Lauri said...

I just realized that Reid got a buzz too. Are you buzzing all the boys???Spencer too???

jeanine said...

Love the mustaches and the shirts! (You're brave with the paints... I avoid paint if at all possible)